Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 11-03-2013, 09:17 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That defense needs to get their ish together, but it was nice to see the offense get into a rhythm. Finally.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:23 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
There's not a whole ton in the draft that would be complimentary to Gronk the way Hernandez was. We may just have to take someone because of the injury history though.
Who says they have to get an Aaron Hernandez type, though? Another full-on TE wouldn't exactly be a bad thing.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:56 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Who says they have to get an Aaron Hernandez type, though? Another full-on TE wouldn't exactly be a bad thing.
I'm a big believer in having offensive players with distinct skillsets. A fully capable tight end wouldn't be a bad thing, but an undersized guy who can make things happen after the catch on short completions helps us a lot more.

Either way, a viable second target at that position should be a priority.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:13 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jace Amaro of Texas Tech is 6-5 and 260 with 4.5 speed. he'd be a perfect compliment to Gronk.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:15 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That defense needs to get their ish together, but it was nice to see the offense get into a rhythm. Finally.
Aw come on, the defense hasn't been good the last few weeks but bear in mind they are playing without Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo, Talib and lost Gregory and Nink for large portions of yesterday's game. That is 6 starters and 3 pro bowl calibers defenders missing.

Andre Carter played significant snaps despite not doing anything in a long time. We played the bulk of the game with Jones and Vellano again as the only DTs because Sopoaga didn't have time to integrate himself in to the defense.

If Nink is good to go and Talib comes back after the bye it will become better again. Maybe not as good as the first 5 weeks but still a good unit. If the offense starts to roll with Gronk and Amendola healthy and Vereen back then this team could go on a roll

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:31 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't even notice Nink went down, what happened? And anyone else seriously tearing at their hair when Gronk came up limping? Seriously at this point withhold him until the post season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ha, yeah it was worrying when the announcer said he was slow to get up but I think it was probably just a dead leg. Through the bye if everyone can get healthy and Gronk just Gronks then I think we can be good.

I do worry everytime he gets hit though, probably going to be that way for a while.

I think Nink just rolled his foot or something. Was nothing major but meant Carter was playing more snaps than you would like, although he played okay rushing the passer. Was shown up in the run game though and that were Nink is really good

Old 11-04-2013, 10:48 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its really disappointing to think about how much better we'd be as a team without the number of injuries on defense.

With that said I'll take 7-2. Easily could be 8-1 or 9-0 but with all the struggles weve had its incredible were at 7-2. Any final record predictions going into the bye week, which BB gave the players six straight days off. Very generous of him lol. I'd say sitting around 12-4 come post season.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:03 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Aw come on, the defense hasn't been good the last few weeks but bear in mind they are playing without Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo, Talib and lost Gregory and Nink for large portions of yesterday's game. That is 6 starters and 3 pro bowl calibers defenders missing.

Andre Carter played significant snaps despite not doing anything in a long time. We played the bulk of the game with Jones and Vellano again as the only DTs because Sopoaga didn't have time to integrate himself in to the defense.

If Nink is good to go and Talib comes back after the bye it will become better again. Maybe not as good as the first 5 weeks but still a good unit. If the offense starts to roll with Gronk and Amendola healthy and Vereen back then this team could go on a roll
Yeah, but they're not getting most of those guys back, so they can't have that excuse. They need to figure this out. I think Soap will be a huge help, but they need to make massive, sweeping improvements.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:12 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Yeah, but they're not getting most of those guys back, so they can't have that excuse. They need to figure this out. I think Soap will be a huge help, but they need to make massive, sweeping improvements.
Oh, I know and I can't make excuses because every team will have to deal with injuries, but it is unrealistic to expect a top 5 or even 10 defense without those guys. Nink offers so much as a run defender and we had trouble setting the edge when he went out. When Talib comes back it means we can do so much more on the back end too. The defense will be better for the stretch run with both of those guys back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Its really disappointing to think about how much better we'd be as a team without the number of injuries on defense.

With that said I'll take 7-2. Easily could be 8-1 or 9-0 but with all the struggles weve had its incredible were at 7-2. Any final record predictions going into the bye week, which BB gave the players six straight days off. Very generous of him lol. I'd say sitting around 12-4 come post season.
I think 12-4 is realistic and if the offense clicks I think 13-3 is a possibility. Denver is obviously going to be a huge matchup and I think Carolina will be tough, although the Pats off a bye are normally money.

After that, Houston and Baltimore are always tough regardless of how they seem to be playing but right now I think the Pats will be favored in 6 of the remaining 7 games. I also think 12-4 could get us the #2 seed which would be huge. Especially since I could see KC make an early exit in the playoffs if they have to play Denver or Indy. Although if Denver beats KC twice then Denver will get homefield throughout

Old 11-05-2013, 05:59 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are still some rather difficult games on the schedule. Carolina's rushing attack should present some problems, and their defense is ranked second against the run and tenth against the pass. I don't expect the Patriots to beat the Broncos. The road games at Miami and at Baltimore could go either way. I'd say 11-5 or 12-4 are realistic outcomes.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:16 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
There are still some rather difficult games on the schedule. Carolina's rushing attack should present some problems, and their defense is ranked second against the run and tenth against the pass. I don't expect the Patriots to beat the Broncos. The road games at Miami and at Baltimore could go either way. I'd say 11-5 or 12-4 are realistic outcomes.
Yeah I think those are fair comments. I would actually worry more about the Texans than the Ravens though, even though historically we have had success against Houston but not necessarily Baltimore.

If Talib is back I would expect him to limit Torrey Smith. While our defensive front has been succeptible to the run, the Ravens have been really bad running the ball and Osemele is now on IR. If we can force Flacco into passing situations with Smith covered I think the defense can force mistakes.

Houston on the otherhand can run the ball and will present problems in pursuit. Without Mayo or Wilfork I think they could really have success running the ball on us. Then Johnson is having one helluva season and Nuke is a dangerous option too. Added in that Watt and Smith are playing really well and our interior o line isn't I think that could be tough.

As for the Broncos I see one major problem. I think we can score on them and Talib and Dennard should be able to slow down Thomas and Decker, but who covers Welker and Julius Thomas? Welker will eat Arrington alive and Thomas on Hightower or Harmon won't be good. Even if Gregory can play it's still a mismatch. Add in that Moreno is running the ball well and I think they will have too many options. Right now our best chance of beating Denver is late in the playoffs if Manning does Manning things in January.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To what extent would Aqib Talib's propensity for missing games due to injury affect your feelings about signing him to a market-value deal in free agency this offseason? How much would you be willing to commit to Talib?
Old 11-07-2013, 01:38 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

We havent had a good DB in our backfield since Samuel left/McCourty's one good rookie campaign at DB. So as a Pats fan, I'm all on board even considering the injury.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-07-2013, 01:44 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree. I will say, however, that I would expect the "market" to consider that and have some playing time incentives/clauses built into the offers. As long as there's reasonable security in that regard, get a deal done!

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:48 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

I think the Pats will offer him good value in a contract loaded with playing time gaurantees, similar to Vollmer's. Realistically with his off field issues (although there has been nothing but praise since he got here), his injuries concerns and the fact this is the first year where he has played this well it would mean teams would be hesitant to sign him to a big contract. However, it only takes one team and we will have to see what happens. In saying that, there are some decent CBs on the free agent market next year so hopefully someone like Talib would rather take the money quickly in New England rather than wait and have what happened last year where CBs and OTs were signed to relatively low deals

Old 11-08-2013, 09:39 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nate Ebner is really coming on in the last few weeks as a special teamer. He's made 2 really nice plays at the 10 on the kick coverage team.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:11 PM    (permalink
polska78
Rookie

polska78 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
To what extent would Aqib Talib's propensity for missing games due to injury affect your feelings about signing him to a market-value deal in free agency this offseason? How much would you be willing to commit to Talib?
I wonder if his past history and the Hernandez situation will impact any willingness to commit to Talib. That situation around him firing a gun at his sister's boyfriend seemed a bit murky, even with charges dropped. If I recall the brother in law was a sex offender who ended up in jail so maybe Talib deserves a merit badge or something....but he seems like a situation where Kraft may have some reservations given what this organization has gone through. I don't think Talib is going to kill people or anything but there's been other incidents inhis past and given all the attention about what the Pats knew about Hernandez's character prior to the murder charges lays a bad foundation for them to commit so soon to a questionable character guy, even if he has been a good citizen to this point.

So we should find out this week about whether or not Armstead figures into this year's roster at all, correct?
polska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:04 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
Nate Ebner is really coming on in the last few weeks as a special teamer. He's made 2 really nice plays at the 10 on the kick coverage team.
I wouldn't mind him getting some LB time on obvious passing downs. I liked him coming out of OSU and it's good to see him doing well.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:09 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
I wouldn't mind him getting some LB time on obvious passing downs. I liked him coming out of OSU and it's good to see him doing well.
I don't know, he is a guy who is easy to root for but we knew coming out that he was more athlete than football player and that still shows at times. On special teams he is a very good player because he doesn't need to worry about making the right call. I would much rather see Jamie Collins get more reps than Ebner

Old 11-12-2013, 03:31 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Go get Ed Reed now!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-12-2013, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Vaylor
Rookie

Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll pass. He is old and terrible. I would rather see what Wilson and Harmon can do.
Vaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Agree to disagree. I would rather have Reed than either of those guys.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-12-2013, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaylor View Post
I'll pass. He is old and terrible. I would rather see what Wilson and Harmon can do.
Adrian Wilson has been on IR.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:28 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When Reed was cut I pondered whether he would be a good addition for the Patriots, even since it'd be at a discount, but I think Belichick is more than satisfied with McCourty at FS and wants to see what Harmon looks like at SS. Also as someone mentioned earlier Ebner's been looking good lately. Gregory was able to come up and make tackles on plays below him, I don't think Reed would be effective doing that.