Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 01-28-2014, 01:26 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watching everydraft BB has had you see some similar patterns

Round 1 - 4 Down players
Round 2 - Gamble on high risk/reward
Round 3 - Part time player depth, developmentmental
Round 4 - BPA after re-organization of board
Round 5-UDFA - ST or longterm development
3. TE - Ben Koyak - Notre Dame
4. LB - AJ Johnson - Tennessee
5. DE - Anthony Chickillo - Miami
6. WR - Tyler Lockett - Kansas State
7. TE - Clive Walford - Miami
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:41 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Revisionist history is the right phrase, imo. +rep (if I can) for AntoinCD. The only truly bash-able point is the total lack of attempts to fill the vacant pass rusher spot that has been a glaring hole since Vrabel hit the cliff and was traded.

WR has had plenty of attention. DB has had plenty of attention. Hell, even TE is a running joke for us Pats fans as we pretty much never rule out a round 1/2 TE. Center is probably the only other spot that has needed some attention but even that came with rumors that there was interest in Mack +/- Pouncey.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:57 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the media should rephrase how they discuss Ron Rivera as coach of the year. He didn't win because of low expectations (something Belichick's teams haven't had for some time), but because he did a damn good job this year. I still think Belichick deserved it more, but I think it's a bit much to talk about how he was on the hot seat this year as a reason to justify giving him the award.

Honestly, I thought it was a bad joke that Brady got an AP vote for MVP. He was good, but not that good and the running game and defense won as many games as he did. Manning literally won tons of games for the Broncos and did it by breaking (shattering?) records. It was clearly Manning except for two weeks that the media sensationalized the good Brady games.

Honestly, it was just Belichick pulling a rabbit out of his ass this year.

Last edited by descendency : 02-02-2014 at 01:00 AM.
descendency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:39 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Best thing to have happen to us this season was losing to Denver in the AFC championship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:25 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Best thing to have happen to us this season was losing to Denver in the AFC championship.
Yeah Seattle would have raped us too, just too good a defense. Although I think they matched up better against Denver than they would against the Pats.

The Broncos seemingly just sacrificed Decker yesterday putting him on Sherman and not looking his way. Hell the Pats could do that with Thompkins and not miss much. Vereen would have been the advantage the Pats could use against Seattle. Denver can't do that with their RBs. Although, the thought of Marshawn Lynch running on the Pats is enough to give anyone nightmares. The Broncos actually did a decent job of bottling him up. The Seahawks offense wasn't actually impressive, sans a few Harvin moments, but the Broncos secondary was terribad. Champ got destroyed by Baldwin on the fade and both Kearse and Baldwin made about 6 players look stupid on their TDs.

In saying that I don't know if any team could do much against that defense. They were already amazing but saved their best game for the Superbowl.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:28 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Now we get to hear about how Manning is a choke artist instead of hearing that about Brady all off season. Really, they saved us from a long off season.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:32 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, neither QB was going to win that game, but given the choice I would rather the media and all the casual fans talk about how Manning still can't play well in the playoffs rather than those same people talk about how Brady has lost his magic

Old 02-03-2014, 11:21 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Overall guys, that was a fun season given what it could have turned into. On the completely other end of that statement, its a little disappointing to know if we stayed healthy what we could have done as well. Oh well, we had some of the best come backs Ive ever seen this team stage, we just down right refused to lose so many games we should have, and even the oens we did lose generally came down to last possession games. BB did a remarkable job with this team. A good off season and we still remain viable contenders for the AFC.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-03-2014, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Overall guys, that was a fun season given what it could have turned into. On the completely other end of that statement, its a little disappointing to know if we stayed healthy what we could have done as well. Oh well, we had some of the best come backs Ive ever seen this team stage, we just down right refused to lose so many games we should have, and even the oens we did lose generally came down to last possession games. BB did a remarkable job with this team. A good off season and we still remain viable contenders for the AFC.
I agree with all of that. Gutsy year by the team and a great coaching job, most teams would have not handled all of the adversity going all the way back to Hernandez as well as the Pats did.

I am sad about losing Dante Scarnecchia and Pepper Johnson, we have a revolving door of assistants but those two have been mainstays.

P.S. I am very jealous of the Seahwaks roster.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NFL Teams as corporate logos. I like the Patriots one.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:12 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Simple question: Tag Talib?
Old 02-11-2014, 03:40 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Simple question: Tag Talib?
No. Will count roughly $11m against the cap which gives us one year of Talib and no flexibility to do anything else.

Go in with a number and don't waiver. I would be hesitant to go above $8m per year. We are more than just Aqib Talib away from being realistic contenders. Without him it will hurt but it will hurt just as much with him if we can't bring anyone else in.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:45 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think $32/4 is where I'd max out on him.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:25 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would you tag with the intention to just prolong negotiations for a long term deal?
Just to make it exlusive negotiating?

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:28 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Would you tag with the intention to just prolong negotiations for a long term deal?
I think it would really cut down on the flexibility we would have. There is also the risk that Talib would hold out which obviously wouldn't be good either. And, if a new deal doesn't get done he will almost certainly leave next year

Old 02-12-2014, 01:59 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
I'm not convinced he's worth signing long term, to be honest. He's an injury prone (soft) CB who has a history of problems off the field. He's been good in NE, but both years were contract years.

I see a case of the "got paid" coming.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:34 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't tag Talib. I think he knows how much he benefits from the structure of this team, and I think he'll do everything he can to stay in New England if a reasonable deal can be worked out. Not a guy who's going to be looking to jump ship.

There isn't anyone for the Pats to tag.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:45 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about other CBs besides Talib that are FA's?
Grime? Verner? DRC? I'm sure there are a couple more.
Any realistic chance we attempt to sign one of them if Talib doesn't work?

Old 02-14-2014, 05:35 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Yeah, they'd go after the free agents that are out there. Those guys can all fit in. I think Talib is just better than those guys, though.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:51 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be happy enough going with Logan Ryan, Alfonzo Dennard, and Kyle Arrington as the cornerbacks next year, although I do want to bring in a couple of guys for depth, one boundary guy to prevent Arrington from having to play outside when someone gets hurt, and a backup slot guy.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

However, I would rather go for Verner than Talib. Some stats from PFF:

Cover snaps/target, cover snaps/catch, yards/cover snap:

Verner: 7.4 / 15.0 / 0.99
Talib: 6.9 / 12.8 / 1.22

Passing against:

Verner: 39/79 (49.4%), 579 yards (7.33), 2 TD, 5 INT, 14 PD, 55.8
Talib: 38/71 (53.5%), 596 yards (8.39), 3 TD, 4 INT, 7 PD, 72.3

Verner's also younger, has played in every game over the course of his career, was also terrific in the slot, and doesn't have some of the past drug/legal concerns Talib has had. He's also been great every year, whereas Talib has been very overrated every year other than this one.

Last edited by Matthew Jones : 02-15-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Matthew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Old 02-15-2014, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
However, I would rather go for Verner than Talib. Some stats from PFF:

Cover snaps/target, cover snaps/catch, yards/cover snap:

Verner: 7.4 / 15.0 / 0.99
Talib: 6.9 / 12.8 / 1.22

Passing against:

Verner: 39/79 (49.4%), 579 yards (7.33), 2 TD, 5 INT, 14 PD, 55.8
Talib: 38/71 (53.5%), 596 yards (8.39), 3 TD, 4 INT, 7 PD, 72.3

Verner's also younger, has played in every game over the course of his career, was also terrific in the slot, and doesn't have some of the past drug/legal concerns Talib has had. He's also been great every year, whereas Talib has been very overrated every year other than this one.
I thought is was clear Verner was the cream of the crop this FA class though? Just that we know what Talib is proven in our system already so let's just stick to what we know and hopefully get a hometown discount, if possible. Verner on the other hand will be expensive.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:38 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

I think there is a big difference between Talib and some of the other guys in FA this year. Yes Verner is a really good CB but I wouldn't say he is better than Talib. Brent Grimes, should he hit the market is another really good CB but once again I don't think he is as good as Talib. Same with DRC etc.

None of those guys, IMO, could allow the Pats to do what they did against Jimmy Graham as an example. Or Julio Jones, or AJ Green.

Talib is a matchup CB who can, when on his game, shut down the games best. What he allows this defense to do goes way beyond PFF numbers. Plus you have the chemistry that has been built up already. Why mess with that to save $1m?

I would also argue against some of the other CBs over Talib for differing reasons.

DRC has been greatly inconsistent his whole career and also gets those niggly injuries that Talib gets

Grimes had a real bad injury and will cost a lot this year, if he doesn't get tagged or resigned in Miami.

Verner has had one year of elite production. He has been very good previously but not as good as this year in a contract year. Is that not a potential worry in itself?

Old 02-17-2014, 12:38 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Too busy to make a detailed post about it, but in summation

I'd go >$8 million for Talib

We'd be absolutely foolish to let him go and leave Dennard, Ryan, and Arrington to get bumped up a spot.

PFF coverage snaps don't really mean much to me at all. Logan Ryan's coverage grade is way more impressive than Talib's, but it would be ridiculous to suggest that he had the better season. I can't say I know what the situation was like for Alterraun Verner, but I would imagine it's fairly unlikely he shadowed the other teams top target, big receiver or fast receiver, around the field like Talib did.

I mean the man in 13 games essentially shadowed S. Johnson, Hill, V. Jackson, J. Jones, Green, Graham, S. Smith, D. Thomas, A. Johnson, Gordon, Wallace, T. Smith, and Woods, and he put up the stat line cited before.

We're going to rake him over the coals because he had 2 bad games against Steve Smith and Josh Gordon? Yes, he gets hurt more than we would like, but he's been a difference maker everytime he's been healthy. He's really only 1 of 3 guys who we have on our team who meet that criteria.

We've been losing in the playoffs because nobody has been stepping up and making plays, now people think that we should jettison one of the few players on the team who can get hot, and help us win games over the 3-4 game stretch we need to win in the playoffs, all over a couple million in perceived value.

I hate our 4 quarters = $1 approach to personnel sometimes. The strength of our coaching staff has always been producing quarters. So why are we paying the Arrington, Amendola, and Gregory's of the world a combined $10 when we've proven that we can take the Edelman, Harmon, and Ryan's of the world to fill in those spots. The difference between Talib and Dennard in tools and impact exceeds the difference between the original 3 and the replacement 3.

It is imperative that we keep Talib.

Sorry I thought this post would be short when I started it..
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote