Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 03-21-2014, 12:24 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think I'd want to give Solder a big contract, but he's an above league average starting LT. If he gets paid like that, I'm good with it. It's really not worth it to shuffle the line around too much. Especially when they'll be acclimating a new OL coach for the first time since Michael Jackson was black.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:29 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Pats are rumored to be strongly considering moving Logan Ryan to safety. Not sure how I feel about that one.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:50 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know what to think about Logan Ryan moving to safety either. They must see something they like if they are considering it, but I really like him as a slot corner. I guess it wouldn't hurt to move him around since it appears that there will be three corners ahead of him on the depth chart, but I liked him where he was. This is probably just being done to ensure that BB's BFF Kyle Arrington gets on the field.

PS-2 threads deleted in the Pats Team Forum not by me, is that a sign that I am a horrible Team Leader?
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vince! Love it.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:30 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Email from weei just hit my phone for v-weazy on a 3 year deal. Woot!!

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:35 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a bad deal. It's pretty much a 1 year deal with an option for 2 more. Hopefully this keeps us from needing a DT in round 1, so we can focus elsewhere.

Also, we're essentially returning the exact same defense as we ended the season with minus Talib and Gregory, but plus Browner, Mayo, Revis, and Wilfork!
Old 03-27-2014, 06:57 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
The Pats are rumored to be strongly considering moving Logan Ryan to safety. Not sure how I feel about that one.
That's weird. He's not big enough. They put him on tightends a lot last year, but he only did well when the safeties were helping him.

Last edited by nepg : 03-27-2014 at 07:01 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:01 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Vince! Love it.
I never had any doubt they'd work it out. As I said, Vince has been upset before. They basically just get his wife to calm him down, then sit back down at the table when he's had a chance to grasp the situation. He might not retire a Pat because he seems like he'll play way past when he should, but he won't spend a productive year on another team.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:16 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Hat Trick.

This team is shaping up really well. They've smoothed everything over and are at least slightly better than they could have potentially been last year (i.e. if everyone had been healthy). From the injuries in 2013, depth in 2014 will be a strength because they had the chance to develop a lot of different players and get them battle-tested. No one's running on that DL and half the field may be completely off-limits when teams try to throw. Could be an elite defense.

I like the potential of Buchanan and Bequette, but I would like to see a high-motor edge rusher added, and I'd like to see one or two DBs added for competition's sake. But the real needs are interior OL, a pass-catching TE, LB depth, and a 2-down RB to push Ridley (basically in that order).

(It'd be awesome to get a good one, but it's pointless to talk about WRs. I don't expect them to hit on a guy in the draft, and I honestly don't see the current group holding the team back. It's as good as any of their Super Bowl-winning groups as-is, and if they develop at all, it's actually a nice group.)
Old 03-27-2014, 09:35 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OG/OC
TE
S depth
LB depth

That's what I'd like to see addressed in the draft. If McCourty gets hurt, I'll be terrified of our S play. I like Harmon starting opposite him but that's about it. Wilson is adequate depth and the other is a ST only.

And as for Vince staying...

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:22 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I like the potential of Buchanan and Bequette, but I would like to see a high-motor edge rusher added, and I'd like to see one or two DBs added for competition's sake. But the real needs are interior OL, a pass-catching TE, LB depth, and a 2-down RB to push Ridley (basically in that order).

(It'd be awesome to get a good one, but it's pointless to talk about WRs. I don't expect them to hit on a guy in the draft, and I honestly don't see the current group holding the team back. It's as good as any of their Super Bowl-winning groups as-is, and if they develop at all, it's actually a nice group.)
Bequette??? I like the potential of Bequette selling insurance in a year but that's about it. The guy has literally done nothing since he has come into the league. He was overtaken on the depth chart last year but a 7th round rookie and an ancient Andre Carter.

I think the WR corps still needs at least one more player, ideally a high end rookie. Dobson has shown flashes in the last year but he started the year hurt and finished it hurt...never a good thing. KT is just awful and LaFell is just a guy. Without Gronk on the field our pass catchers are the definition of meh.

As for needs, I suppose it is all dependent on what you want. I would rank them:

WR
OG/C
TE
DE

I think in an ideal world they can get a WR in the first round (probably not going to happen but a guy can dream)

Draft some like Martin or Richburg at the end of the second.

Take the best of the TEs or DEs in the 3rd - someone like Niklas or Fiedorowicz or Scott Crichton etc

Then, if we have everyone healthy, start Vollmer at RT and Cannon at RG with Connolly being either the starting OC for the first games, or if not needed have him being a versatile backup while the rookie starts at OC

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:52 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Ryan Wendell is back... No me gusta
Old 03-28-2014, 07:51 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

did not want wendell back lol

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:55 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

<insert Connolly argument>

I don't mind Wendell back, but they need to have some competition. I can't comprehend how Connolly wasn't cut. That's a chunk of change.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:11 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Bequette??? I like the potential of Bequette selling insurance in a year but that's about it. The guy has literally done nothing since he has come into the league. He was overtaken on the depth chart last year but a 7th round rookie and an ancient Andre Carter.
I wasn't arguing that Bequette is currently good. I also didn't say what I thought of the chance of him reaching any part of his potential. He was the 5th DE in my scenario. Whether he has good potential isn't really arguable - they don't keep him around because he mixes the Gatorade better than anyone else.

Going by positional values for this draft, an outside rusher probably isn't going to be the best option in the first round unless someone just freefalls (and we know the Pats won't draft those guys anyway). The best first round value for where the Pats are slotted looks like CB or TE, followed by WR and interior OL.

Obviously, people would give them the stink eye if they drafted a CB, so who knows there. After they get their first shot at a TE at 29, there's a bit of a drop-off. Since they're looking for a specific skill-set at that position, they might be best-off making sure they get their man. Otherwise, they may want to wait until really late since a UFA might be their best chance.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:12 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The longer we go with Dustin Keller, Owen Daniels, and Santonio Holmes on the wire, the more I want to see them added on a prove-it deal. Especially Holmes, who really fits our biggest need. He clearly won't get big money or long terms, at this point, so he'd be on a very team friendly deal. He'd be easy & cheap to cut if/when he acts like the douchenozzle he seems to be.

Also, what is the deal with De La Puente (C) and Wharton (G)? They are basically names on a FA list and I have no clue how they've played recently and/or if they are decent fits for this team. Thoughts?

Last edited by FlyingElvis : 04-01-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:31 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshoota25 View Post
did not want wendell back lol
If I knew how to make sigs I would make you a new one, yours cuts deep.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:34 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
The longer we go with Dustin Keller, Owen Daniels, and Santonio Holmes on the wire, the more I want to see them added on a prove-it deal. Especially Holmes, who really fits our biggest need. He clearly won't get big money or long terms, at this point, so he'd be on a very team friendly deal. He'd be easy & cheap to cut if/when he acts like the douchenozzle he seems to be.

Also, what is the deal with De La Puente (C) and Wharton (G)? They are basically names on a FA list and I have no clue how they've played recently and/or if they are decent fits for this team. Thoughts?
Not sure De La Puente is even an upgrade over Wendell to be honest. Wharton I wouldn't mind bringing in but the team seem to like Connolly more than the fans.

Dustin Keller and Owen Daniels would both be intriguing options but I gotta think it's the health questions that are keeping them on the street at the minute.

Holmes is really interesting because in general I would be very much so against bringing a guy like him in, however the WR position is in such disarray at the moment he may be needed

Old 04-01-2014, 11:28 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Not sure De La Puente is even an upgrade over Wendell to be honest. Wharton I wouldn't mind bringing in but the team seem to like Connolly more than the fans.

Dustin Keller and Owen Daniels would both be intriguing options but I gotta think it's the health questions that are keeping them on the street at the minute.

Holmes is really interesting because in general I would be very much so against bringing a guy like him in, however the WR position is in such disarray at the moment he may be needed
Cool, thanks. Wharton is considering (or has mentioned possible) retirement, so that likely has some impact on his FA interest.

The three pass catchers should be cheap for reasons mentioned. As much as I dislike the "quantity vs. quality" approach to FA we often take, nabbing both of those TEs is a move I wouldn't hate. Even if neither makes it past camp, it's a can't lose move that could be a home run if one or both can play well.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:07 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

I'd definitely be interested in Keller or Daniels. Holmes can go pound sand though. The guy has a sub-50% completion percentage the last 3 combined seasons, is an enormous clubhouse cancer, and frankly would just add another mediocre veteran to the mix, thus giving us a built in excuse to relegate any young receiver to the bench on BB whim.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:55 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
I'd definitely be interested in Keller or Daniels. Holmes can go pound sand though. The guy has a sub-50% completion percentage the last 3 combined seasons, is an enormous clubhouse cancer, and frankly would just add another mediocre veteran to the mix, thus giving us a built in excuse to relegate any young receiver to the bench on BB whim.
Lol so true.

Reiss has the wr position as one of the strongest positions on the team, depth wise I hope. If not, I guess just having a bunch of guys at the position qualifies as being strong.

Also will smith is visiting with us currently. Id be alright with a cheap signing, would be typical off season move for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Michael Bush also came for a visit too. A Blount replacement, possibly, it seems

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:57 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Manziel meeting with us. Im going to chalk that up to die dilligence and nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:19 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting that you guys are bringing in Bortles, Bridgewater, and Manziel (assuming Carr might be soon to follow). Really curious to see if you draft the one that falls to you. It would be sad for the rest of the AFC East if they're thinking that far ahead, though I think the only one that would put the fear in me would be Manziel.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:19 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Interesting that you guys are bringing in Bortles, Bridgewater, and Manziel (assuming Carr might be soon to follow). Really curious to see if you draft the one that falls to you. It would be sad for the rest of the AFC East if they're thinking that far ahead, though I think the only one that would put the fear in me would be Manziel.
I'm with Jvig here and putting this down to due diligence. I could see the Patriots taking a guy like Mettenberger if he falls to the third because he fits what they like in a QB, but I don't see any of these guys. I could see them maybe liking Bortles but no way he will be around in the first, let alone later in the draft.