Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:45 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

4-3 without a doubt.

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm
smittyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:53 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsalltheway
I would go 3-4 because more teams run the 4-3, so 3-4 prospects would be easier to find later in the draft, also teams that run the 3-4 have had a lot of sucess from what I've seen.

Why is there no Cover 2 option? The two best teams in the NFL run it.
The Cowboys and Chargers both run 3-4 silly.
The Bears run the 4-3...
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:56 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Speaking of a cover 2, what are the basics of that scheme.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:57 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
Quote:
Quote:
I would go 3-4 because more teams run the 4-3, so 3-4 prospects would be easier to find later in the draft, also teams that run the 3-4 have had a lot of sucess from what I've seen.

The Bears run the 4-3...
...and so do the Bills!
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:00 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991
DL generates pressure, LBs are fast and get after the ball. Gives up size for speed. Rarely blitz. A lot of zone coverage.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:10 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The Bears run the 4-3...
The run the Cover Two variation.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:15 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Quote:

Yep the 6-4 Cowboys are one of the two best teams in the league. :roll:

As for the question, I've never liked the 3-4 for one reason or another but I think it is the better defense, because you have essentially 3 DT's on your line and have two OLB's that can edge rush or cover. I just think you can do more with it.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:31 PM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think that the 3-4 is a more versatile defense as you can change it up as the placement, you can put an LB with his hand down to make it the 4-3, etc. I personally dont think that either of them is better, i think that it totally depends on the talent of the team
Old 11-22-2006, 09:56 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Don't believe me? Think about who has the best run defenses in the league. Dallas, Pittsburgh, and SD. All 3-4 teams. Who has the best pass defenses? Generally Cover 2 teams, built on speed and 4-3 fronts, like the Bears.
Minnesota has been very stout against the run and weak against the pass and they run the cover 2. Although I would probably attribute this to Pat Williams not being a prototypical one gap DT.

The growing popularity of the cover two is mainly due to the lack corner backs that have the athletic ability to play man coverage effectively with the new illegal contact rules. Teams are realizing that they cant leave their corner backs on island hence the safety help and dedication to pass rush with the dline.

I think you discriminate against the Tampa 2 unfairly because you assume old school ideals that the DT must be the anchors of run defense. The cover 2 can be very stout against the run because jsut like the pass rush comes from unconventional sources (DT's) the run defense comes from unconventional sources (cornerbacks and safetys). Defensive backs have an active roll in the run defense and must always be physical and swarm to the ball. It requires discipline and great instincts from all the players behind the dline. Its affectionally called being "gap sound".

Ill admit that Chicago will be less likely stop numerous run plays up the middle on a dime like say the Jaguars. Mistakes by linebackers and dbs will result in a few runs here and there. But the Chicago dlne will be more likely to occasionly break into the backfield and disrupt running plays before they start(see Tommie Harris) Its a give and take. A big weakness of this approach altough is when probowl DB's like Mike Brown or Bob Sanders with great instincts against th run go down to injury, the run D suffers immensely. I have a theory that it is because of their active roll in the run and their smaller sizes than the running backs their throwing themselves at that contribute to their injury problems.

Still the biggest advantage of the Tampa 2 in my opinion is being able to have a shut down pass D without breaking the bank on shutdown cornerbacks like Champ Bailey.
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:58 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Vikings also don't have the normal cover 2 players.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-22-2006, 09:59 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Notice the two Tampa 2 "letdowns" in the playoffs last year were Indy and Chicago. Both teams lost their SS for the game. I think these were bigger factors than the dlines.
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:01 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151
My defense.

OE- Jason Taylor
DT- Richard Seymour
NT- Jamal Williams
DE- Julius Peppers

WLB- Keith Bulluck
MLB- Brian Urlacher
SLB- Adalius Thomas/Marcus Washington
can play 3/4 or 4/3
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:16 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The Bears run the 4-3...
The run the Cover Two variation.
Damn, you're right. Totally slipped my mind.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:17 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend
Quote:
My defense.

OE- Jason Taylor
DT- Richard Seymour
NT- Jamal Williams
DE- Julius Peppers

WLB- Keith Bulluck
MLB- Brian Urlacher
can play 3/4 or 4/3
That is the point. That is my hybrid defense.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-22-2006, 10:27 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My defense.

OE- Jason Taylor
DT- Richard Seymour
NT- Jamal Williams
DE- Julius Peppers

WLB- Keith Bulluck
MLB- Brian Urlacher
can play 3/4 or 4/3

he is my Defensive Player of the year so far

9 SACKS
2 INTS
40 TACKLES
7 FORCE FUMBLES
2 TOUCHDOWNSS
100 RETURN YARDS

also like 100 hurries
Old 11-22-2006, 10:33 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My defense.

OE- Jason Taylor
DT- Richard Seymour
NT- Jamal Williams
DE- Julius Peppers

WLB- Keith Bulluck
MLB- Brian Urlacher
can play 3/4 or 4/3

9 SACKS
2 INTS
40 TACKLES
7 FORCE FUMBLES
2 TOUCHDOWNSS
100 RETURN YARDS

also like 100 hurries

http://www.nflspot.com/nflspotv2/blog/index.html

Click on the Dolphins.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-22-2006, 10:35 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My defense.

OE- Jason Taylor
DT- Richard Seymour
NT- Jamal Williams
DE- Julius Peppers

WLB- Keith Bulluck
MLB- Brian Urlacher
can play 3/4 or 4/3

9 SACKS
2 INTS
40 TACKLES
7 FORCE FUMBLES
2 TOUCHDOWNSS
100 RETURN YARDS

also like 100 hurries

http://***********/nflspotv2/blog/index.html

Click on the Dolphins.
Good read Daniel.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:37 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Most people know my name on here already.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-22-2006, 10:41 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

Quote:
what the link it came out **********
Old 11-22-2006, 10:41 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Long story but I think because the site is blocked out.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-22-2006, 10:56 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991
DL generates pressure, LBs are fast and get after the ball. Gives up size for speed. Rarely blitz. A lot of zone coverage.
Cover 2

Tampa 2

The basic premise of the Cover 2 and Tampa 2 is that everybody drops back into zone coverage and the front four generate a pass rush. The advantage is that you don't need to play man-to-man, it can be difficult to be beaten deep, and you can create a lot of turnovers. The disadvantage is that their are soft spots in the zone that can be taken advantage of and it's tough to get pressure on the quarterback with only four pass rushers.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:57 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Long story but I think because the site is blocked out.
so what was the link about
Old 11-22-2006, 10:59 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

It's my blog on how Jason Taylor should be MVP.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-22-2006, 11:03 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It's my blog on how Jason Taylor should be MVP.
nice
Old 11-22-2006, 11:45 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

The Raiders run the 4-3.