Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

View Poll Results: Javarris James or Antone Smith?
Javarris James 40 75.47%
Antone Smith 13 24.53%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2007, 01:17 PM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.

Wow could you two be any bigger homers? So I should trust FSU message boards for which players are good? I'm sure it will be very fair analysis.
StaticGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:19 PM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticGator View Post
Wow could you two be any bigger homers? So I should trust FSU message boards for which players are good? I'm sure it will be very fair analysis.
homer? after I gave you 100% facts and you gave a false opinated hate post which can be backed by nothing? I already said I would pick James at this point, but your post was null and void because it made zero sense. "James wanted it more"..."James beat out better players than Antone"

not true or proven....now disprove my previous post or retrack and resort to namecalling like you just did

-sig by jkpigskin
-black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:10 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BigJohn was being a bit of a homer.

James came in as a true freshman and took the job from a returning starter that was a junior. Charlie Jones did do something, he did very well after Moss was injured in 05. That really doesn't mean anything, but Jones had done something in his career.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:21 PM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jones still is not better than Booker and the "great competition" James beat out is no better than what Smith had to beat out at FSU....pick James for the right reasons, but made up reasons that are meant to diss Antone as a player (and character guy, like he doesnt want it and is just hype) causes me to lash out

he called me a homer though....

-sig by jkpigskin
Old 06-10-2007, 03:55 PM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.

Here's what I'm saying. James came in as a 4 star prospect, but there was little or no hype around him. It was almost like a favor to the family. I don't remember reading any pre-season reports about him being the man. He had to compete with Tyrone Moss (4 star back from 2003), Charlie Jones (5 star from 2004), Bobby Washington (4 star from 2004), Andrew Johnson (4 star from 2004), LeSean McCoy (5 star from 2006), and Kylan Robinson (4 star from 2006). I know at least one of them didn't make it in or transferred so spare me. Basically James was just a guy with any number of players who were at least as heralded as him who could have won the job but he got it done and wouldn't be taken out of a game. Antone Smith is clearly the highest profile back on the FSU roster so it's not hard to think he wouldn't get every opportunity to be the man. And I really don't want to hear what a great player Lorenzo Booker was because he was a 3rd round draft pick. He only got drafted there because he ran fast at the combine. His college career cannot be looked at as anything less than a bust.

And black, homerism is saying 1.) How great Booker was that he kept Smith on the bench, 2.) how horrible the offensive line was, and 3.) how horrible the coaching was. #2 and #3 may be the case, but at this point we don't know whether his pedestrian production was truly limited by those factors or whether he's just an average player. Saying anything more is just wishful thinking and sticking up for your guys.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:15 PM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Here's what I'm saying. James came in as a 4 star prospect, but there was little or no hype around him. It was almost like a favor to the family. I don't remember reading any pre-season reports about him being the man. He had to compete with Tyrone Moss (4 star back from 2003), Charlie Jones (5 star from 2004), Bobby Washington (4 star from 2004), Andrew Johnson (4 star from 2004), LeSean McCoy (5 star from 2006), and Kylan Robinson (4 star from 2006). I know at least one of them didn't make it in or transferred so spare me. Basically James was just a guy with any number of players who were at least as heralded as him who could have won the job but he got it done and wouldn't be taken out of a game. Antone Smith is clearly the highest profile back on the FSU roster so it's not hard to think he wouldn't get every opportunity to be the man. And I really don't want to hear what a great player Lorenzo Booker was because he was a 3rd round draft pick. He only got drafted there because he ran fast at the combine. His college career cannot be looked at as anything less than a bust.

And black, homerism is saying 1.) How great Booker was that he kept Smith on the bench, 2.) how horrible the offensive line was, and 3.) how horrible the coaching was. #2 and #3 may be the case, but at this point we don't know whether his pedestrian production was truly limited by those factors or whether he's just an average player. Saying anything more is just wishful thinking and sticking up for your guys.
maybe you just dont follow recruting or college football. But he had plenty of "hype" around him. He and Shields were the talk in pre-season as possible stars. And yes, 3 of the backs your mentioned are no longer on Miami, so why bring them up? Its like me saying Antone had to compete with Greg Jones or something.

Quote:
Antone Smith is clearly the highest profile back on the FSU roster
actually Booker was

Quote:
He only got drafted there because he ran fast at the combine
really? most felt he ran a "slower" 40 time then what he was expected to run. He almost ran a 4.5 when he was expected to be in the 4.3 range. He got drafted in the 3rd round because he is a good third down NFL type back with elite hands.

Quote:
His college career cannot be looked at as anything less than a bust
when considering he was ranked higher as a prospect (ratings wise, i know they came out in different years) than Reggie Bush than yes. Like I said though, he still quitely ran his way into FSU record books (2nd all time in the 2000/2000 club)

Quote:
How great Booker was that he kept Smith on the bench
I never said he was "great". But he certainly was a better option than anything on Miami's roster (Jones, Thomas, or Moss).

Quote:
but at this point we don't know whether his pedestrian production was truly limited by those factors or whether he's just an average player. Saying anything more is just wishful thinking and sticking up for your guys
actually its not, I seen with my own two eyes how the production dropped. Let me give you a little history lesson

2004, the Noles have a good OL (Alex Barron is on the team) and a decent OL coach

Booker as a backup ran for 877 yards. Easily would have eccliped 1,000 if he did not backup Leon Washington (who is a better RB han Booker)

2005, McHale is hired, and a new zone blocking scheme is implemented with bad fits on the OL.

Leon Washington (a player who nearly had 1,000 yards himself in 2004) struggled to do anything behind the hideous line and coaching. Booker suffered the same fate (progressed numbers wise).

2006, more of the same

2007, both coaches gone

so no its not speculation. His numbers steadily decreased (and Leon's) once the OL went bad and the coaching got worse. Those are the factors that held him back (evidently seen by Leon his rookie year as he played much better than his numbers looked in college)

any RB or QB playing in FSU's system the past few years have been held back. Its not a coicident the problems for the offense started the very year Jeff Bowden took over....and thats a fact

and like I said, i dont see how James beating out Jones, Thomas, and a injured/suspended Moss is any more impressive than Smith beating out Booker, Sims (Rivals 100 member), and Edwards (Rivals 100 member).

-sig by jkpigskin

Last edited by -black : 06-10-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:18 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm pretty sure Booker was the #3 prospect in the country out of high school.

Wow, saying FSU's OL and coaching was bad was homerism for FSU? I guess I'm a FSU homer then. You can watch FSU and see how bad the OL is, and the fact that FSU threw the ball that much is ridiculous.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:21 PM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post

Wow, saying FSU's OL and coaching was bad was homerism for FSU? I guess I'm a FSU homer then. You can watch FSU and see how bad the OL is, and the fact that FSU threw the ball that much is ridiculous.
I know Booker was an elite prep prospect.

It's a chicken and egg situation. Just because FSU's line sucks, does it necesarily mean their backs are amazing? Just because Michael Vick's receivers suck, does it mean he's a good quarterback?
Old 06-10-2007, 04:27 PM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post

Booker only got 15 carries in a game twice in 2006.

the UCLA game showed what could happen when he gets his touches

100 yards rushing (he ended the game with 90 something because we called two toss plays which got negative yardage) and 100 yards receiving.

i'd be amazed how we'd run the ball like 5 times in one half and throw it 25 times

-sig by jkpigskin
Old 06-10-2007, 04:31 PM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I know Booker was an elite prep prospect.

It's a chicken and egg situation. Just because FSU's line sucks, does it necesarily mean their backs are amazing? Just because Michael Vick's receivers suck, does it mean he's a good quarterback?
no it doesnt, and nobody said it. Just because James beat out three backs , does it mean he wanted it more than Antone (who ironically also beat out 3 backs)?

-sig by jkpigskin
Old 06-14-2007, 08:30 AM    (permalink
dre1614
Rookie

dre1614 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

2005:

Leon Washington -
97 carries, 430 yards, 4.4 average, 26 long, 3 td's

Lorenzo Booker -
119 carries, 552 yards, 4.6 average, 58 long, 4 td's

Antone Smith -
36 carries, 188 yards, 5.2 average, 45 long, 3 td's

2006:

Lorenzo Booker -
143 carries, 616 yards, 4.3 average, 34 long, 4 td's

Antone Smith -
88 carries, 456 yards, 5.2 average, 80 long, 5 td's