Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMontainya View Post
Just want to know why everyone is ranking Taylor as one of the best? It isnt because hes basically a LB playing S is it? He gets alot of tackles, but also gave up the 2nd most amount of recieving TD's in the entire NFL last year behind the Saints CB. That tells me he is darn horrid in coverage, but tackling stats are clouding people preceptions of what type of player he really is. He needs to be switched to LB before the Redskins give up a passing TD every game on Taylors account.

When it comes to the actual safety position, and not tackles, even Sean Jones from the Browns is a better overall safety than Taylor.
I love how people all of a sudden assume Taylor is a terrible coverage safety because he gave up a lot of defensive TDs last season. Look at the defence he was on. Look at what the coaching staff asked him to do. He is easily one of the most talented cover safeties in the league. Did he make some mistakes last year? Yes, but saying he's a linebacker playing safety is just ignorant.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:59 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
I love how people all of a sudden assume Taylor is a terrible coverage safety because he gave up a lot of defensive TDs last season. Look at the defence he was on. Look at what the coaching staff asked him to do. He is easily one of the most talented cover safeties in the league. Did he make some mistakes last year? Yes, but saying he's a linebacker playing safety is just ignorant.
All the exsperts say the same, just because you dont agree, doesnt mean it is "ignorant". The dude is absolutly HORRID in coverage, dont try to defend that part of his game.
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
All the exsperts say the same, just because you dont agree, doesnt mean it is "ignorant". The dude is absolutly HORRID in coverage, dont try to defend that part of his game.
Hahahaha...show me some "experts" that say Sean Taylor is horrid in coverage.

Video evidence of Taylor not terrible in coverage: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...16479616325959

That is a highlight video from his 2005 season. Look at him covering stars like Moss and Owens. He's better near the line of scrimmage, but that doesn't make him horrid in coverage. He can run with any receiver, is a viscious hitter across the middle, and can make plays on the ball.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:03 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Wow all of the so called "ESPN Experts", anyone who says he is awful in coverage shows a lack of football knowledge. He is no Ed Reed but at the same time is no Roy Williams.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:30 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

QUESTION

if Taylor is so bad in coverage but plays like an LB..then why are the Redskins putting him at FS..LaRon at SS closer to the line

Landry will be more in box while Taylor plays back. Now..did this board not go out and say Landry will be the best safety in a few years? Hes great in coverage? He is but if Taylor was as bad in coverage as u kids say..i dont see why Gregg Williams would give him coverage responsbility over Landry
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:30 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He was asked to cover #1 receivers last season, I would like to see any safety not give up TD's in that situation. His coverage is not horrid, but better than you would expect for someone with his size. Try watching the game instead of listening to the so called "experts" on ESPN.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:53 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

You guys can say whatever you want about him. But where Im from actions speak louder than words. I gave an actual stat that shows his actions, and as of now Im right until someone shows me why his 8 TD's given up make him good in coverage? #1 WR's? Im pretty sure not a single safety last year was asked to match up man on man with a #1 WR, maybe help situations, but dont even give me that bull.

And I love how most of you guys who more than likely are under 21, allways bash the exsperts because your opinion is different. Well I gave a stat that goes beyond opinion, Taylor was responsible for 8 pass TD's.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:01 PM    (permalink
23trufant
Rookie

23trufant hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

1-Ed Reed
2-Brian Dawkins
3-Adrian Wilson
4-Bob Sanders
5-Troy Polamalu
6-Chris Hope
7-Sean Taylor
8-Kerry Rhodes

thanks Bengals1690
23trufant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:08 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
You guys can say whatever you want about him. But where Im from actions speak louder than words. I gave an actual stat that shows his actions, and as of now Im right until someone shows me why his 8 TD's given up make him good in coverage? #1 WR's? Im pretty sure not a single safety last year was asked to match up man on man with a #1 WR, maybe help situations, but dont even give me that bull.

And I love how most of you guys who more than likely are under 21, allways bash the exsperts because your opinion is different. Well I gave a stat that goes beyond opinion, Taylor was responsible for 8 pass TD's.
Jon Kitna had more passing yards than Tom Brady. He is a better passer.

Statistics are far from indisputable evidence.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:05 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
Jon Kitna had more passing yards than Tom Brady. He is a better passer.

Statistics are far from indisputable evidence.
You just used Jon Kitna as a deffense to Taylor? I think this is where the arguement ends....

When a S continually gets beat for TD's (2nd worste in all the NFL to be exact) I think that says enough.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:31 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningham06 View Post
What? Landry had great production last season. 69 tackles, 3 sacks, 5 interceptions. He came in and started as a rookie and was excellent, he was one of the best defensive rookies last season. He's proved he can play, so I put him in my top 5 SS. He's not a top 5 safety but top 10 is by no means a stretch.
He had one pretty good year. Yes, production--as in proving he can do it more than once. If he had come out and played on the level of Ed Reed then it would be one thing, but he didn't. People are putting him up there because "that was his rookie year, imagine how much better he can be next year!"

Yes, and Napoleon Harris was very good in his rookie year as well, leading the way for the #2 overall run defense and racking up some nice production in the process. But guess what, 4 years later no one in their right minds would consider him anywhere near top 10 in MLBs or OLBs.

To take you back a couple years, people thought Michael Boulware was the next big thing after his rookie year. I guess they had something else coming, eh?

People get all excited about this young player or that young player on the verge of a "breakout year" but so often that year keeps getting pushed back. Let's wait until he actually proves he can do it consistently. Until then he's just as likely to be the next flash in the pan.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:33 PM    (permalink
Phrost

Quote:
You just used Jon Kitna as a deffense to Taylor? I think this is where the arguement ends....

When a S continually gets beat for TD's (2nd worste in all the NFL to be exact) I think that says enough.
Owned? Honestly though he has made a good point.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:40 PM    (permalink
broncs2bowl

Safety:
Ed Reed
Brain Dawkins
Troy Polamalu
Adrian Wilson
Sean Taylor
John Lynch(lol little homerism, BUT careerwise probs the second best safety still playing right behind Dawkins)
Old 05-29-2007, 08:08 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

dc4life needs more cowbell.

Quote:

This was some-what true. He got beat a ton of times last year for TDs. I don't wanna directly blame him for everything cause his whole supporting cast/defense sucked balls. This is my unbiased opinion btw. Everyone knows he has all the talent and physical tools..yada yada yada..
dc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:14 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Safeties of Tomorrow:
Jarrad page, Brandon Merriwether, Bernard Pollard, Nick Collins, Donte Whitner, Ko Simpson, Michael Huff, Danny Manning, Marvin White, Laron Landry, Dawan Landry, Reggie Nelson, Eric Weddle, Sabby Piscatelli

wow, alot of young depth at both SS and FS
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:34 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

no answers to my question Sean Taylor haters?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:37 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by remix 6 View Post
no answers to my question Sean Taylor haters?
This Joe fella prefers to just bring up one statistic (because we all know that's the be all end all when it comes to football analysis) and leave it at that. When counter-arguments are made that actually have a solid basis (you know, actually WATCHING football) he says things like "this argument is over".
Old 05-29-2007, 09:45 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

dc4life needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remix 6 View Post
QUESTION

if Taylor is so bad in coverage but plays like an LB..then why are the Redskins putting him at FS..LaRon at SS closer to the line

Landry will be more in box while Taylor plays back. Now..did this board not go out and say Landry will be the best safety in a few years? Hes great in coverage? He is but if Taylor was as bad in coverage as u kids say..i dont see why Gregg Williams would give him coverage responsbility over Landry

Do they really have a choice? Don't they have to put Taylor at FS since everyone really knows that Landry is really more of a SS. Look at his highlights, youtube or whatever. The majority of his plays are blitzing the Qb, or making plays near the line of scrimmage.

As for Taylor, he prefers to play closer to the line as well. This is why all the draft experts and a number of fans were upset with the pick of Landry. Its like having two starting strong safeties on your team. They didnt improve their D line as well. Taylor is the FS by default. Don't let Landry's 4.35s speed straight-line-forty convince you that he has the quickness of a ballhawk. If they wanted a true ballhawk centerfielder they would have traded down and gotten Reggie Nelson or Meriweather.

Two teams I know for sure, were targeting Meriweather at the draft. The Patriots (the team who got him) and the Eagles (the other team who wanted him).

Taylor isn't a horrible coverage guy, but he did get burned a NUMBER of times last year. Their whole D sucked ass.

Last edited by dc4life : 05-29-2007 at 09:55 PM.
dc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Yung Flippa
Veteran

Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

FS:
1. Ed Reed
2. Brian Dawkins
3. Bob Sanders
4. Sean Taylor
5. Kerry Rhodes

SS:
1. Adrian Wilson
2. Troy Polamalu
3. Mike Brown
4. Dawan Landry
5. Chris Hope

Baltimore: 7-4
Yung Flippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:50 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would go with

Reed
Dawk
Polamalu
Roy
Wilson
Sanders
Harrison-when not injured most fined saftey lol
Old 05-29-2007, 09:59 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NFC east has some nice safteys dowos

Roy and Ken hamlin

Taylor and Landry

B-dawk and Considine -still needs to get better

Will Demps and Gibril Wilson - these two not that good but Demps is pretty decent
Old 05-29-2007, 10:07 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc4life View Post
Do they really have a choice? Don't they have to put Taylor at FS since everyone really knows that Landry is really more of a SS. Look at his highlights, youtube or whatever. The majority of his plays are blitzing the Qb, or making plays near the line of scrimmage.

As for Taylor, he prefers to play closer to the line as well. This is why all the draft experts and a number of fans were upset with the pick of Landry. Its like having two starting strong safeties on your team. They didnt improve their D line as well. Taylor is the FS by default. Don't let Landry's 4.35s speed straight-line-forty convince you that he has the quickness of a ballhawk. If they wanted a true ballhawk centerfielder they would have traded down and gotten Reggie Nelson or Meriweather.

Two teams I know for sure, were targeting Meriweather at the draft. The Patriots (the team who got him) and the Eagles (the other team who wanted him).

Taylor isn't a horrible coverage guy, but he did get burned a NUMBER of times last year. Their whole D sucked ass.
i never let speed fool me as to where a player belongs.reading scouting reports, hes compared to Dawkins..hes a hard hitter, plays run but very good in pass D. i think they would of at least let Landry play FS if they thought Taylor was bad..give Landry at chance and maybe help Sean but thats not the case.

Quote:
Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams confirmed that Sean Taylor will play free safety with LaRon Landry on the strong side.
Williams likes that he'll be able to play Taylor in space more now after sticking him "in the box" to support the run most of last season. Landry will play closer to the line of scrimmage and make more tackles. In 2007, the Redskins are expected to play more Cover 1 and less Tampa 2.
so last year Taylor was basically near the line to help out but that didnt work out

their whole D sucked..no pass rush..struggled verse run.

Sean Taylor did give up a lot of TDs but its not always his fault..heres a comparsion: Samari Rolle tooka lot of criticism last season for letting up big plays..reality though, it was Reed's responbilities ..he was either late to the ball or out of position. Football isnt just.."the closest guy to you is yours" like Seymour said..as a fan you can watch all u and say look at his stats and what not but u dont understand the responibilties of players. Some are asked to do different things than you might think and then you wonder why he didnt do this or that.

Taylor is not as bad in coverage as the 8 TDs might lead you to believe. Hes fast..he knows what to do but hes undiciplined at times, overagressive.

like Reed..he gets caught of position sometimes and when u dont have a very good D around you..it makes u look very bad. if Reed played on Skins..i can gurantee his aggresive play will stand out as he gets beat a few times. im a fan of both players..my favorite safeties, both of them but both are overaggresive sometimes and undiciplined because they look for the big play.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:17 AM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love these sean taylor arguments. :p
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:56 AM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Well where I'm from, we don't take too kindly to your kind not paying attention to the game and just looking at stats.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:03 AM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
He had one pretty good year. Yes, production--as in proving he can do it more than once. If he had come out and played on the level of Ed Reed then it would be one thing, but he didn't. People are putting him up there because "that was his rookie year, imagine how much better he can be next year!"

Yes, and Napoleon Harris was very good in his rookie year as well, leading the way for the #2 overall run defense and racking up some nice production in the process. But guess what, 4 years later no one in their right minds would consider him anywhere near top 10 in MLBs or OLBs.

To take you back a couple years, people thought Michael Boulware was the next big thing after his rookie year. I guess they had something else coming, eh?

People get all excited about this young player or that young player on the verge of a "breakout year" but so often that year keeps getting pushed back. Let's wait until he actually proves he can do it consistently. Until then he's just as likely to be the next flash in the pan.
Nip you are quite the cynic. What SS's do you rank top 5 without Dawan Landry in it? Polamalu, Wilson, and Hope are generally agreed upon. Mike Brown? He can't stay healthy. If you honestly rank your top 5 SS's who would you put over Landry? Sean Jones is a possibility, but he could be a flash in the pan too, who knows. The bottom line is you can't discriminate against a player just because they are young.