Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who is the Best?
Terrell Suggs 41 28.28%
Demarcus Ware 34 23.45%
Shawne Merriman 70 48.28%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2007, 01:09 PM    (permalink
SubNoize
Veteran

SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Human veins can blow up like that without use of steroids. It's called hardwork and dedication and I've seen it first hand. I've watched Terrell Suggs absolutely blow up without use of any supplements. I've worked out with this guy soo mant times in the last few years and watched his ethic and level of intensity go up ten fold without touching anything, and it's been a multi-year progression, since he left high school in 99-00 till now. Look at him and the size of his neck, arms and legs and you can see a guy who worked hard for his body.
SubNoize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Space Ghost hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

THe way you stated the original post makes me take Suggs because he actually plays DE a bunch for the Ravens. Ware and Merriman are much more of standup linebackers than Suggs is. Suggs gets his hands dirty.
Space Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Merriman is, as of right now, the better pass rusher. There's no question about that (as of now). Suggs and Ware, however, are more balanced players. It's very close in this one I think Merriman dazzles because of his pass-rushing ability, but the lack of complete play from him really makes me uneasy about him. I also think with the new system in Dallas, Ware could get many more opportunities to rush the passer. He's going to have a heck of a year. As of now, I'd say: 1. Suggs 2. Ware 3. Merriman. I think a lot could change, however, in this next year.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:51 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
THe way you stated the original post makes me take Suggs because he actually plays DE a bunch for the Ravens. Ware and Merriman are much more of standup linebackers than Suggs is. Suggs gets his hands dirty.
Yet when he was an OLB he was much more versatile than the other two.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:48 PM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post
I think Merriman is, as of right now, the better pass rusher. There's no question about that (as of now). Suggs and Ware, however, are more balanced players. It's very close in this one I think Merriman dazzles because of his pass-rushing ability, but the lack of complete play from him really makes me uneasy about him. I also think with the new system in Dallas, Ware could get many more opportunities to rush the passer. He's going to have a heck of a year. As of now, I'd say: 1. Suggs 2. Ware 3. Merriman. I think a lot could change, however, in this next year.
Merriman actually has a lot to improve on his pass rushing ability. He was a better run stopper his rookie season than pass rusher, which is why he was always replaced by Phillips during passing downs. He improved a lot this past season but still needs to work on refining his technique. Pass rushing and run stopping should really be the only things he should about since our system depends a lot on him and Phillips pressuring the QB.
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:13 AM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
Merriman actually has a lot to improve on his pass rushing ability. He was a better run stopper his rookie season than pass rusher, which is why he was always replaced by Phillips during passing downs. He improved a lot this past season but still needs to work on refining his technique. Pass rushing and run stopping should really be the only things he should about since our system depends a lot on him and Phillips pressuring the QB.
Considering he had 17 sacks (league leader) in 12 games I wouldn't say his pass rushing needs much work.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:54 AM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
Considering he had 17 sacks (league leader) in 12 games I wouldn't say his pass rushing needs much work.
Those are nice, but he still needs work against some of the better tackles in the league. He has great athleticism, and he sometimes rely on that too much. Hence, the fact that I keep bringing up his techinique versus Shaun Phillips.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:03 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Those are nice, but he still needs work against some of the better tackles in the league. He has great athleticism, and he sometimes rely on that too much. Hence, the fact that I keep bringing up his techinique versus Shaun Phillips.
I don't know, I've never really found myself saying Merriman needs to work on his pass rush...
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:23 PM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I hate to say it but Shawn Merriman is the absolute best out of those three. He's a beast you can't stop him.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:21 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tell that to the Patriots. In the last game Merriman played, they stopped him cold and did his primadonna prance on his home field afterwards.

Last edited by Geo : 06-01-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:38 AM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Tell that to the Patriots. In the last game Merriman played, they stopped him cold and did his primadonna prance on his home field afterwards.
Speaking of which, I was wondering if it was legal to choke a pass rusher or grab them by the neck in the NFL? It's apparently one of the rules I'm not clear on.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:19 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Wasn't he playing hurt most of that game?

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:39 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Speaking of which, I was wondering if it was legal to choke a pass rusher or grab them by the neck in the NFL? It's apparently one of the rules I'm not clear on.
was it allowed? yes. some of the best are those who know how to not get caught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:09 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
was it allowed? yes. some of the best are those who know how to not get caught
Yeah, I'm not going to complain and whine that we didn't get holding calls, but considering the circumstances I don't think that is the best game to judge him on....

He was held a lot more then players usually are, still had a sack (although a relatively insignificant one), but was constantly grabbed around the neck.

It's not really fair to judge him on that one game, especially considering he was being mugged all game.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:59 AM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

holding? HOLDING? if anyone held the whole game it was your OL. our LBs got held as did Warren, Wilfork and Seymour

there was maybe 1 case where Light blatantly held. other than that..it was just an ordinary game except you've never seen Merriman shut down like that. he also got pancaked a twice on both sides :)
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:03 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remix 6 View Post
holding? HOLDING? if anyone held the whole game it was your OL. our LBs got held as did Warren, Wilfork and Seymour

there was maybe 1 case where Light blatantly held. other than that..it was just an ordinary game except you've never seen Merriman shut down like that. he also got pancaked a twice on both sides :)
He was playing with an achilles injury, and yeah he was getting pretty consistently held. It's there on film.

and he does need to work on his technique; the guy dominates on his athleticism, but if he actually refined his pass rushing a little he'd be completely unstoppable.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:50 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by remix 6 View Post

I'm not saying we didn't hold, every O-Line does, it just seemed the Pats got away with a couple more obvious calls then the Chargers did....

Its time to move on though, I'm not gonna make an excuse for the guy, but c'mon no one should be judged off of one game.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:50 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Merrimen is the best, but I also think that Terrell Suggs is underrated. It's easy to get looked over being on a defense like the Ravens'.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:52 PM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
I think Merrimen is the best, but I also think that Terrell Suggs is underrated. It's easy to get looked over being on a defense like the Ravens'.
Yeah Suggs gets no where near the credit that he deserves sometimes. While I agree that Merriman is the best of the 3, Suggs is the most complete of the 3 in terms of pass rushing, pass coverage, and run coverage.

Again, I'd say

1. Shawne Merriman
2. Terrell Suggs
3. DeMarcus Ware

You really can't go wrong with any ranking of the 3. All are outstanding young defensive players.

Last edited by dcarey20 : 06-02-2007 at 08:55 PM.
dcarey20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:05 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

i would take suggs over ware and merriman over suggs
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:01 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Suggs for me no doubt. His crazy athleticism and ability is often overlooked because of how good the rest of the defense is. The guy is a freak.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:28 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a pass rusher I'd definately take Merriman but I think Ware is the best overall OLB. he seems to be better in coverage than the other two are.
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote