Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:33 AM    (permalink
JMiah
Rookie

JMiah hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Cuban Wants New League to Rival NFL...

Link below...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2887465
Old 05-31-2007, 08:39 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"The NFL wants and needs competition," Cuban wrote

LOL!
Old 05-31-2007, 08:40 AM    (permalink
Scar
Rookie

Scar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

He's got a better chance of buying the Cubs and winning a World Series than making that league work.
Scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:53 AM    (permalink
JMiah
Rookie

JMiah hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

He said it was simply supply and demand... and NFL fans want more football... Well, in a way, yes we do. I am jonesing for the season to start, but when NCAA and NFL get going, I have my weekends pretty freaking full! So if he slaps some 8 teams together and tried to gain viewers in the fall, no way it will work...

If he tries to get some kind of spring ball going, well, it will just have the same or less impact of Arena Football, which isn't bad, but surely isn't the same as the NFL. I am all for more football... let's just make it worth our while...
Old 05-31-2007, 09:01 AM    (permalink
Scar
Rookie

Scar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If there were really that much of a demand to watch lesser talent playing pro ball, we'd all be glued to our TV's watching NFL Europe during the offseason.
Scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:01 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The thing is fans want good football not the next XFL it is so hard to start up a new league with new teams and new players that nobody knows anything about no way this works IMO.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:02 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar View Post
If there were really that much of a demand to watch lesser talent playing pro ball, we'd all be glued to our TV's watching NFL Europe during the offseason.
Bingo! we have a winner.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:06 AM    (permalink
DaBears9654
Rookie

DaBears9654 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
He's got a better chance of buying the Cubs and winning a World Series than making that league work.
Oh my gosh! He'd probably rename Wrigley Field as Mark Cuban Stadium just to see his name on it.

OK, so the Mavericks don't play home games in "Mark Cuban Arena" but he does seem to be full of himself.

NFC North right ends are shaking in their cleats.

Or @ least they had better be.
DaBears9654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:16 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

eacantdraft smells like sex panther.

The only monopolies people like is Sports monopolies. We don't want some new leagues to come and take away the talent from the established league.

This league will go the way of the XFL, USFL, WFL.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:32 AM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wasn't this tried by Vince McMahon.

And the XFL was superb wasn't it.

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:50 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well, NFL Europa is hardly a quality product for television, what with their mundane at best offenses thanks to the limited amount of time they have to gel before the season. Not to mention this proposed league has teams from the States playing, and that's likely to draw more interest in the States, I would think.

That said, I'm not optimistic about this new league. Maybe if they were to play in the spring/summer to bridge the gap between NFL/CFB seasons, that might be the best course of action. Personally, NFL Europa isn't great to watch as I said earlier and Arena football feels too much like a gimmick to embrace.

As much as I hate to say it, the best chance this league has is to allow players to be drafted one year out of high school. Lure future superstars to play one or two years in the UFL and then either be drafted by the NFL or enter the free agent market when eligible. Reality being what it is, I think a number of young men would rather be paid to play (minor league) football than fulfill their college education, play college ball for the pomp and circumstance, or wait until they are drafted by the NFL.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:54 AM    (permalink
WooWoo21
Rookie

WooWoo21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

You cant really compare this to the XFL, because what Vince tried to do was change the way the game was played. If Cuban wants his league to work he will have to sign big name free agents from the NFL who are already household names. Although I love the way the new commissoner is handling business and weeding out the badseeds it isnt hard to imagine players like Pac Man Jones, Mike Vick, Chris Henry, and Ricky Williams playing in another pro football league without having to face the constant scrutiny like they do in the NFL. If he is smart he wont try to compete with the NFL, he will make his league an accessory to it.

Here to convert the Bills Haters of the World.
WooWoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:02 AM    (permalink
LionSmack
Veteran

LionSmack hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

That right there is the only valid point about this league having any chance. With Goodell cracking down, the NFL could turn into the good guy league and there will then be a niche for the bad boys. This new league could say, forget drug testing and personal conduct policies, we want good football players. Needless to say, that kind of strategy could really blow up in their face, but it would be a good way to get better talent right off the jump.
LionSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:49 AM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

myinnerself hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It just won't happen, remember when Cuban had that brilliant idea for a TV show? Yeah, that worked out too.
myinnerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:50 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myinnerself View Post
It just won't happen, remember when Cuban had that brilliant idea for a TV show? Yeah, that worked out too.
This isnt Cuban's idea...

It is Wall Streeter Bill Hambrecht and Google executive Tim Armstrong's... Cuban just jumped on for the ride and to be the first team owner.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 05-31-2007 at 11:53 AM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:40 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The idea is to have 8 teams as "Farm Teams", like Double AA teams in Baseball.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:59 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

Honestly, they should try and combine their league with the CFL. That way they have an existing fanbase, and can simply try to expand the league. The CFL's major problem is that it on has a few teams, and the competition sucks. If they could add another 8 teams, and bring in some draft picks, the league could grow.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:02 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That would be like NFL Europa over here or more similar to the NBDL. I doubt their would be an direct affiliation for the teams to a parent NFL team since the amount of teams is far less than those in the NFL. It could work if properly executed and thought out. A league for development of linemen, defenders, Qbs etc with each team having some elder ex-NFL players. Brett Favre for instance lol.

Have some contracts work out where the NFL team has rights to a player for one development season, then a chance ot put them on the team for that fall or bring them to camp and waht not. Then a free agent for therestof the NFL or this league.

I could see this league with the executives in place having contracts be voided and the NFL team having to pay that organization and that player to invite them to camp. Another revenue generator.

I don't know I'm just thinking aloud.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:09 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like i said in the other thread... if they start making bids on 3rd round caliber players, they may just have something. Money speaks volumes, I'm sure they could pry some of these college boys away.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:32 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

It worked for the AFL (and to an extent the USFL). I think if they execute this right it could work.

They'll never compete head to head with the NFL but if they play games when there isn't NFL football it could work out. I'm all for this. Competition is good for everyone.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:16 PM    (permalink
tom
Veteran

tom smells like sex panther.tom smells like sex panther.

It sounds like a great idea to me... with so many people in love with AFL, I think there would be as many, if not more fans eager to watch UFL games... they could have their draft the day after the NFL draft and have rounds 8 through 14... and possibly try and steal some of the lower level players going into the NFL... remember than rookies in rounds 3 onwards don't get paid much at all, so getting them would be quite easy.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:28 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They just got to have mandatory contract's for their draft which would exceed the amount a second or third round player would get in the NFL draft.

Since there is only gonna be 8 teams, I dont see why each team wouldnt be able to get like 5 guys a year who otherwise would have went in the 3-5th rounds of the NFL draft.

It all just depends on them finding about 8 owners who are willing to see this through and spend the money and they could have something decent going on.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I heard some of the cities they are intersted in getting a Franchise in are LA, Las Vegas and Mexico city.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:41 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomp View Post
Honestly, they should try and combine their league with the CFL. That way they have an existing fanbase, and can simply try to expand the league. The CFL's major problem is that it on has a few teams, and the competition sucks. If they could add another 8 teams, and bring in some draft picks, the league could grow.
That's actually a pretty decent idea. Have a US and a Canadian Division. Scoop up 3rd round guys, and try to make something happen.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:51 PM    (permalink
High Roller
Rookie

High Roller hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

That's why NBA and MLB aren't as big as NFL...there are games every day and they're not special. The NFL schedule is 16 games - 17 weeks. As much as I would like to watch Football year round, it could be detrimental to the way I view the game.

On the other hand, NFL will always be viewed as the highest level of competition, so standout rookies won't give up going to the NFL for some wanna-be copycat. Stupid idea, he's just money hungry.

Faithful Niner Fan
High Roller is offline   Reply With Quote