Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2007, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Purple N Proud
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default The Ohio State Buckeyes-2007

Now that Spring ball is in the books we can all forget about that ugly nc game and focus on next year. I know it's late but I still sometimes can't believe we didn't win that game. Whatever.

What do all you guys think of the new bucks?
Personally I see:
Youngstown St: W
Akron: W
Washington: W (at Seattle at night makes for an interesting scenario though, I don't think this one is the gimme many seem to think)
Northwestern: W
Minnesota: W
Purdue: W
Kent St: W
Michigan St: W
Penn St: L (flashbacks to a horrible 2005 outing at Penn State)
Wisconsin: L (really more of a toss-up then penn st, i think wisconsin has as many question marks as we do)
Illinois: W
Michigan: W (As long as it could be close, I'll never say I think Michigan will be us.)
So I'm thinking we'll be somewhere between 8-4 to 10-2 or so. There's always the chance of a team coming out of nowhere to stun us, and I think the records gonna be closer to 8-4.

I like our defense this year. Everyone questions our defensive line, especially our DT's. The DE's are gonna be beastly with Wilson and Gholston holding it up, and Rose coming in. One I think could surprise is Dexter Larimore. I know right now Denlinger and Worthington have the inside track, but I bet Dex ends up not just in the rotation but a starter. The LB's will be ridiculously talented and loaded with depth, and the defensive backfield should be just fine.

The offense has questions, but everyone knew it was coming. It could be a tough year for some Buckeye fans, longing for the Air It Out, Run up the scoreboard days of yesteryear. I think we'll be a lot more conservative, even to the point where Tressel-Ball makes its way back into our vocabularies. Nothing wrong with that though. If all we need is Beanie and Trapasso, so be it. I'm worried about the line (I know several starters were out during the spring), but if all else fails hey we got 3 good ones coming in 2008.

Overall, another solid year from the Bucks. It may be a disappointment to those expecting BCS every year, but it happens. We certainly have the talent to make another exciting run like last year.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:56 PM    (permalink
TouchdownUSC
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: California
Posts: 412
Reputation: 0
TouchdownUSC hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

i agree 100 percent with your list but id put another question mark by michigan as that could really be a toss up too. id say michigan has the edge but i think ohio state with beanie wells and a strong defense is capable of pulling off a win but they have to play a pretty much a perfect game. i personally think michigan will win but it will be extremely close again
TouchdownUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:49 PM    (permalink
NickBam
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Illinoise.
Posts: 1,714
Reputation: 10
NickBam hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchdownUSC View Post
i agree 100 percent with your list but id put another question mark by michigan as that could really be a toss up too. id say michigan has the edge but i think ohio state with beanie wells and a strong defense is capable of pulling off a win but they have to play a pretty much a perfect game. i personally think michigan will win but it will be extremely close again
I'll believe Chad Henne can beat OSU when I see it.
__________________

Sig by gbpackers0065

Chicago Bears: NFC Champions
NickBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:42 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 30,585
Reputation: 1108093
P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBam View Post
I'll believe Chad Henne can beat OSU when I see it.
Chad Henne has the same winning percentage against Ohio State as every QB on Ohio State's roster has against Michigan. Secondly, I find it funny you fault Chad Henne for Michigan struggles. Do you remember in 2005 when Henne had one of his best game statistically of the season against Ohio State? Also, did you forget Henne putting up 267 yards, 2 TD, and 0 INT and his second best game of the season on that great Ohio State defense last year? Chad Henne has not been the reason for Michigan's struggles against Ohio State. Infact, Henne is one of the few Michigan players to elevate his performance during the big game.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:22 PM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 801
Reputation: 361
OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

I don't see us losing to Penn State. I think we will be looking for revenge for the whiteout and will put a whallop on them
__________________
OhioState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:03 PM    (permalink
TouchdownUSC
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: California
Posts: 412
Reputation: 0
TouchdownUSC hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

i thought hennie was Michigan's the most impressive player in last years ohio state-michigan game. he did a great job overall
TouchdownUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:08 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,776
Reputation: 303889
keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Ohio State is gonna be loaded on defense this year moreso than last year. Unlike last year the Ohio State safeties will be a strength, not a weakness. And word has it that Larry Grant is looking great as the SLB. Hopefully a plattoon of he and Curtis Terry at sam, plus Marcus Freeman and Ross Homan at will should put the LBs as one of the best units in the land.

Doug Worthingon (6-7/285) is gonna be all big ten this year barring injury. You can write that one down. He's the 3rd best D-Lineman on the Bucks behind Gholston and WIlson. Robert Rose is a beast. I think Ohio State beats Michigan will Beanie Wells on the road, but probably loses to PSU or Wisconsin :( and goes to the Rose Bowl.
__________________
keylime_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:42 PM    (permalink
jbeans187
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mizzou, but im still all about UMiami and WVU
Posts: 731
Reputation: 339
jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Illinois will upset Ohio St.
__________________


Leroy Smith - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGD6XnAsNs
jbeans187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:25 PM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 801
Reputation: 361
OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Ohio State is gonna be loaded on defense this year moreso than last year. Unlike last year the Ohio State safeties will be a strength, not a weakness. And word has it that Larry Grant is looking great as the SLB. Hopefully a plattoon of he and Curtis Terry at sam, plus Marcus Freeman and Ross Homan at will should put the LBs as one of the best units in the land.

Doug Worthingon (6-7/285) is gonna be all big ten this year barring injury. You can write that one down. He's the 3rd best D-Lineman on the Bucks behind Gholston and WIlson. Robert Rose is a beast. I think Ohio State beats Michigan will Beanie Wells on the road, but probably loses to PSU or Wisconsin :( and goes to the Rose Bowl.
I am really hoping that Worthington will make the transition to DT well. We really need someone on the inside to step up as we are stacked at DE
__________________
OhioState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:21 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 31,593
Reputation: 494719
Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple N Proud View Post
Now that Spring ball is in the books we can all forget about that ugly nc game and focus on next year. I know it's late but I still sometimes can't believe we didn't win that game. Whatever.

What do all you guys think of the new bucks?
Personally I see:
Youngstown St: W
Akron: W
Washington: W (at Seattle at night makes for an interesting scenario though, I don't think this one is the gimme many seem to think)
Northwestern: W
Minnesota: W
Purdue: W
Kent St: W
Michigan St: W
Penn St: L (flashbacks to a horrible 2005 outing at Penn State)
Wisconsin: L (really more of a toss-up then penn st, i think wisconsin has as many question marks as we do)
Illinois: W
Michigan: W (As long as it could be close, I'll never say I think Michigan will be us.)
So I'm thinking we'll be somewhere between 8-4 to 10-2 or so. There's always the chance of a team coming out of nowhere to stun us, and I think the records gonna be closer to 8-4.

I like our defense this year. Everyone questions our defensive line, especially our DT's. The DE's are gonna be beastly with Wilson and Gholston holding it up, and Rose coming in. One I think could surprise is Dexter Larimore. I know right now Denlinger and Worthington have the inside track, but I bet Dex ends up not just in the rotation but a starter. The LB's will be ridiculously talented and loaded with depth, and the defensive backfield should be just fine.

The offense has questions, but everyone knew it was coming. It could be a tough year for some Buckeye fans, longing for the Air It Out, Run up the scoreboard days of yesteryear. I think we'll be a lot more conservative, even to the point where Tressel-Ball makes its way back into our vocabularies. Nothing wrong with that though. If all we need is Beanie and Trapasso, so be it. I'm worried about the line (I know several starters were out during the spring), but if all else fails hey we got 3 good ones coming in 2008.

Overall, another solid year from the Bucks. It may be a disappointment to those expecting BCS every year, but it happens. We certainly have the talent to make another exciting run like last year.
Youngstown St: W
Akron: W
Washington: W
Minnesota: W
Purdue: W
Kent St: W
Michigan St: W
Penn St: W Anthony Morelli vs. the OSU defense?????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Wisconsin: W I think Wisco has a good chance of being the #1 Most Overrated Team this year. They played nobody except for Michigan and Arkansas, and yes, they did beat Arkansas, but they lost by 2 touchdowns to U-M.
Illinois: W
Michigan: L No possible way Henne leaves AA with an 0-4 record vs. OSU. OSU's defense couldn't stop Hart last year and they won't be able to this year. Granted, I'm a Michigan fan.
On the flip side, OSU's defense is very, very, very good. I just don't see enough out of their offense to make me think they will be able to have enough firepower to beat Michigan @ Michigan. They lost three of their top wideouts, best two return men, a Heisman winning quarterback, and because of this I don't expect them to win vs. Michigan.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:52 PM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 969
Reputation: 1
gstock05 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeans187 View Post
Illinois will upset Ohio St.
LOL. Good one
gstock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:29 PM    (permalink
jbeans187
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mizzou, but im still all about UMiami and WVU
Posts: 731
Reputation: 339
jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstock05 View Post
LOL. Good one
Im serious
__________________


Leroy Smith - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGD6XnAsNs
jbeans187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:56 PM    (permalink
Purple N Proud
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeans187 View Post
Im serious
Seriously misinformed
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:15 PM    (permalink
JCarver27
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 265
Reputation: 42
JCarver27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

let me go ahead and fill in the next 10 responses so we can move on:

jbeans187: Nuh uh
Purple N Proud: Yes huh
jbeans187: your mom is misinformed
Purple N Proud: yours is
jbeans187: yours is
Purple N Proud: yours is
jbeans187: i know you are but what am i
Purple N Proud: stupid
jbeans187: i'm rubber you're glue
Purple N Proud: I'M TELLING!!!!!!


Back to OSU...
JCarver27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Purple N Proud
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Darn straight I'll tell!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Purple N Proud
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

But back to the buckeyes

I know it may not sound like the most solid of sources but my old o-line coach told me he was talking to Fickell and that he said nobody should question this defensive line it's gonna be one of the best. I am so excited to see our defense for this year.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:45 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,776
Reputation: 303889
keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Worthington, Wilson, and Gholston are all high motor pass rushers who are all really good against the run. I expect all three to be all big ten - Gholston and Doug to be first team possibly. Denlinger is good too, he played a lot as a rFR behind the 3 'Ps': Pitcock, Patterson, and Penton.
__________________
keylime_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:36 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 27,054
Reputation: 1741013
princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Ohio State will get absolutely man handled in the Wisconsin game. The Badgers defense will be very solid this year and the Buckeyes won't have an answer for PJ Hill or Travis Beckum
__________________


Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 31,593
Reputation: 494719
Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Ohio State will get absolutely man handled in the Wisconsin game. The Badgers defense will be very solid this year and the Buckeyes won't have an answer for PJ Hill or Travis Beckum
Yeaaaaaaaaa don't see that happening. OSU's defense will be one of the top defenses in the country and Wisconsin has no QB. I'd take Beanie Wells over PJ Hill and I hate the Buckeyes
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ohio State University Alumni
Posts: 31,017
Reputation: 1974516
Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I think we lose 3 games, no matter what they are. Someone like Illinois MAY pull an upset, but we will upset someone else. We'll have a decent bowl bid
__________________


Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:59 PM    (permalink
TouchdownUSC
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: California
Posts: 412
Reputation: 0
TouchdownUSC hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
I think we lose 3 games, no matter what they are. Someone like Illinois MAY pull an upset, but we will upset someone else. We'll have a decent bowl bid
Yeah, i think Ohio State will be at a BCS bowl game no doubt.
TouchdownUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ohio State University Alumni
Posts: 31,017
Reputation: 1974516
Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Oof, I wouldn't go that far, but Capital One isn't out of the question.
__________________


Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 31,593
Reputation: 494719
Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
Oof, I wouldn't go that far, but Capital One isn't out of the question.
I hate to say this, but like I said earlier OSU could go 11-1. PSU is good, yes, but Anthony Morelli vs. that defense? If I'm the Buckeyes defense I'm salivating. Wisconsin doesn't have a quarterback and is breaking in a new LT. I like OSU to go 11-1, maybe 10-2 with a definite loss to Michigan :)
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:49 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ohio State University Alumni
Posts: 31,017
Reputation: 1974516
Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

The problem? We have multiple night games, against those teams we play poorly against away (i.e. PSU, Minny,) plus Illinois and Northwestern will be improved. Someone will hit us if Beanie gets hurt (as he is prone to do,) or our DTs and line break down. Teams will be able to run on us, we get 3 losses at least.
__________________


Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:51 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 31,593
Reputation: 494719
Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
The problem? We have multiple night games, against those teams we play poorly against away (i.e. PSU, Minny,) plus Illinois and Northwestern will be improved. Someone will hit us if Beanie gets hurt (as he is prone to do,) or our DTs and line break down. Teams will be able to run on us, we get 3 losses at least.
If OSU loses 3 games I will throw a massive celebration (as long as one of them is to Michigan :) )I think they have too much talent, but you bring up a valid point
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.